Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Top 5 Tuesday: Best SNL Characters


This one is a little short today, so I’ve added some videos to peak your interest!


#5:  Vinny Vedecci
“Ayyyyyyyy!!!!!”
Maybe it’s the Italian in me, but I absolutely love Vinny Vedecci.  It took me a while to realize that Bill Hader isn’t actually speaking Italian, but the cadence and the attitude is spot on, so it’s easy to not know.

The best part is when Vinny starts yelling at the crew members, who are sitting at a table eating spaghetti, and then get into this big argument.  Lots of “ayyyyyyyy!!!!” being tossed around.




#4:  Opera Man
“Opera Man, Bye-Byeeeeeeeeeee!!!”
This will forever be my favorite Adam Sandler character.  He cracked me up every time; in fact, anytime I would watch SNL, I would hope that Opera Man would come on during Weekend Update.




#3:  Church Lady
“Well, isn’t that special?”
Church Lady has some of the best catchphrases of any character.  I bet everyone who’s watched SNL in the past twenty or so years can name a few of the lines:  “Could it be… SATAN?”

The recent Church Lady skit from when Dana Carvey last hosted was perfection.  The Kardashians, Snookie, Justin Bieber.  Church Lady still gots it.




#2:  Sean Connery
“I’ll take the rapists for $400.”
My number one favorite sketch ever is Celebrity Jeopardy and my number one favorite character from that sketch is Sean Connery.  Darrell Hammond is amazing.  The writers are fantastic.  I mean, come on, isn’t this how you would picture Sean Connery if he were on the real Jeopardy?  Antagonistic.  Hilarious.  Diabolical.




#1:  Stefon
“New York’s hottest club is…”
Bill Hader is on my list twice for one simple reason:  he’s brilliant.  Stefon is amazing.  Bill Hader never, ever finishes a Weekend Update segment as Stefon without breaking.  When someone as talented as Bill Hader breaks, you know it must be funny.

Watch it.  Love it.


1 comment:

  1. that's how you write a blog, even if i disagree with some of those choices.

    ReplyDelete