Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Canned Broccoli Would Be My Kryptonite




I hate broccoli.  The smell.  The texture.  The taste.  Cooked broccoli, mind you; I’m ok when it’s raw, but the moment it gets near a pot of boiling water, I run for the hills.  It’s one of those things that starts in childhood and you never really get over sitting for hours, forcing cold, disgusting food down your throat because your parents make you.  Because “it’s good for you.”

Now, answer me this, what is “good for you?”  Because if something has unappetizing as broccoli is good for you, I want no part of it.

Whoever decided boiling vegetables would be a good idea should be slapped.  I can’t think of any vegetables that taste good once they’ve been boiled.  Well, maybe corn.  Is corn a vegetable?  Anyway, we tend to boil the taste out of veggies.

The only thing worse than boiling a vegetable is canning it.  In this day and age, there is no point to canning anything (except tuna and corned beef hash).  If something can’t stay fresh, the freeze it.  There’s plenty of refrigeration around.  I mean, come on, take green beans:  a fresh green bean vs. a canned green bean.  There’s no competition to that’s better tasting (and better for you).  And don’t even get me started on canned peas.  Blech.



I did not intend to write about the foods I hate today.  I love food.  I love cooking.  I love going to restaurants.  I love trying new things.  But there are just some things that should not be done.  And canning vegetables is one of them.

The other is serving me broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment